Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Weidman: "I actually take more privilege if I'm beating up a juicehead"




UFC Middleweight champion Chris Weidman's previous run-ins with Anderson Silva were full of respect, dignity, and class. It looks like his fight with #1 contender Vitor Belfort, who has rattled off three straight head kick knockouts, will be totally different.

Weidman appeared on Ariel Helwani's show The MMA Hour Monday to discuss his bout with Belfort, amongst other things, and had plenty to say about Belfort's use of Testosterone Replacement Therapy(TRT). Belfort has drawn massive criticism for his use of TRT because of his past steroid bust in 2006 after his fight with Dan Henderson.

"How old is Vitor now, 36? And he's allowed to have the testosterone of a 17-year old? I don't think TRT belongs in the sport, where it's a combat sport." Weidman said.

The champ knows he's going to have to face these questions about TRT and steroids over and over again leading up to this massive fight with Belfort, but the way he sees it, he's got nothing to worry about.

"It's more of a cloud for him." Weidman said. "He's the one who got cheating once. Now he's taking TRT and I don't think it's right. I did hear from other TRT users, not to mention names, but I've heard TRT is a good way to cover up other things. I don't know much about the business these guys are in, but that doesn't seem cool to me, for a guy who's not taking anything."

Weidman also had some strong words on how he feels about this fight.

"I feel like I'm on another level." Weidman said. "I think it's a great fight for me, but I think I can beat him no matter what he's on. I actually take more privilege if I'm beating up a juicehead, if that's what you consider him."

Weidman and Belfort's bout is tentatively scheduled to take place in Vegas, where Nevada State Athletic Commision president Keith Kizer has stated Belfort will not be given a therapeutic use exemption(TUE) for continued use of his TRT. The fight is supposed to take place sometime in May or July.

No comments:

Post a Comment